January 21st, 2018 - The Stash and Sewing Goals

Well, this week sucked, big time! My sewing machine just stopped sewing. It was like the stitch length was at zero. That was on Monday night. I turned it off and tried it again with no luck, I thought ok let’s leave it overnight and see if it fixes itself. Run down there on Tuesday and it still doesn’t work. So I thought it could be a couple of things like maybe the feed dogs or the computer board. And then I thought what if this machine is toast? Yikes. Anyway, I got out the Featherweight and I’ve been sewing on that until I can get my machine serviced.

So on Thursday, I took my machine (Bernina 450, bought in 2010) in and the tech guy looked at it. He took the back cover off and said it looked like it had never been cleaned. I said really!, I take my machine in yearly for service, as soon as I see the icon come up that it needs service, I take it in. So what were those techs doing all those years? Anyway, this new tech guy said he wouldn’t waste money fixing it, that it was an older machine and I should probably buy a new machine. See where this is going. He had a saleslady show me the new and improved machines at the tune of  $5499. US and that converts to about $7400 Canadian with the exchange and taxes. So I said I’d talk it over with my husband and left. As I was driving home, I was a little upset about my machine but then I started thinking about it and came up with the thought that they just wanted to sell me a new machine. The tech guy said he’d give me $100- for parts. Are you kidding me? I have over $5000- invested in this machine with the BSR and the walking foot and the embroidery module. Time for a second opinion! I will keep you posted on that. And there’s no new machine on my horizons unless it’s used or free or I win the lottery and we know what the odds of that are.

Now for that stash report. I finished cutting up all the parts for ‘On Ringo Lake’, the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. Boy, did that take a lot of fabric.

Fabric used this week: 12.36 yards and that’s the complete top

Fabric used year to date: 13.33 yards

Fabric added year to date: 0 yards and let’s keep it that way

Net fabric busted: 13.33 yards

Now I need to finish up the top, I have a couple of steps left. I can’t believe how long it takes for each step! I’m itching to start something new. And it won’t be anything that needs any funky stitches, just a simple straight stitch.

My 15 Minutes to Sew Challenge is coming along great. I’ve sewed every day except for Thursday when I took my machine in. It was a busy day with a couple of appointments also. But my total for the week is 22 hours of sewing. That’s like a part time job! I even babysat my granddaughter one day and had both grandkids for an overnight on Friday. The minute they went home, zoom to the sewing room to try to get this quilt top done. I will post pics when I’m done assembling the top of ‘On Ringo Lake’. I’m getting anxious to see it done.

I’m linking up with Donna at QuiltPaintCreate for the Stash Report and with Kate at LifeinPieces for the 15 Minutes to Sew Challenge.

Until next time!



4 Responses to “The Stash and Sewing Goals”

  1. Sunday Stash January 21, 2018 | quiltpaintcreate Says:

    […] No fabric in or out this week. It feels like a long time since I finished anything. That time will come again, hopefully before I add anything. I spent a lot of time sewing last week with not much to show for it. The Bouquet quilt is bordered and basted now. I also finished cutting up all my old calico scraps for my leader and ender project. Yesterday I had Guild and instead of shopping for things I didn’t need I sewed at the Safehouse event. Safehouse is the battered women’s shelter designated as the Guild’s charity. We provide bed quilts for every woman and child that stays at the shelter. I worked with another Guild member to finish a partial top. We considered it a save since the borders in the box with the top did nothing for it and we had to scour the available fabrics to find something that would work better. The Guild member that manages the Safehouse events and quilt storage is a saint. The amount of fabric and partial projects she stores at her house is overwhelming. I hadn’t realized how much time she commits to the project. It’s a selfless labor of love. It has me rethinking things in my own life. Net fabric change 2018: 0 How did you do this week? 1. Melissa G 2. Meloney 3. Kate 4. Julie in GA 5. Chrisknits 6. Mary-Kay […]

  2. Donna Says:

    Sorry about your machine. I would get a second opinion too. They always seem to break at the worst times. I only had one machine for years until it stopped working the day before a blizzard and I was stuck at home for 4 days with no sewing machine. Now I have a backup.

  3. Meloney Funk Says:

    Sewing machines are great when they work. I hope your second opinion will give you a better answer. 2010 is not an old machine. If that was the place I took the machine, I’d be complaining to them. You could always vaccuum it out and see if that helps too.

  4. Kate Says:

    Oh I hate it when they want to sell you something rather then fix what you have. Hopefully, you find out that the problem is fixable. Congrats on all the fabric usage, those ORL blocks do take a bit of time to put together. Wow 22 hours, congrats on finding all the time to sew this week. Happy stitching this week. Thanks for linking up for the 15 minutes to stitch post.

Leave a Reply